Interview: Glenn Hughes

Bluesman Glenn Hughes tells Mark Crumpton why he's opened up to the facts of life.

SOUL PROVIDER

GLENN HUGHES is a name you're probably familiar with, although, if you're an avid collector, you'll have to search deep into the archives in order to grasp the pedigree of his back catalogue. You're talking the likes of TRAPEZE, DEEP PURPLE, HUGHES/ THRALL, BLACK SABBATH, GARY MOORE, PHENOMENA, JOHN NORUM, and WHITESNAKE et al.

Yet success still eludes the man with the golden larynx, who, to my ears, possesses possibly one of the most soulfully unique voices in rock. It's been said that Glenn Hughes can sing the phone book, yet years of self confessed substance addiction have left their mark and made him all the wrong 'headlines.'
"When you mention my name people think, 'Oh my god. what a fuckin' waste of talent,' and, let's face it, it has been a waste of a life," admits Hughes from his home in Redondo Beach California.
Glenn is currently working his recovery 'steps' and living a life of total sobriety in order to develop his solo potential and what he terms his 'gift from God, ' his voice.

Last year, Glenn hooked up with shrapnel boss Mike Varney, who needed a vocalist for one of the songs on his LA BLUES AUTHORITY album. "Messin' With the Kid" resulted in Hughes being asked by Varney to record Blues for BLUES BUREAU INTERNATIONAL.

"It's an album of recovery songs that I needed to express," he professes. "I was asked to do a blues album I thought what better way to cleanse my soul."
All that he wants now is to show people that he's back and his voice is 'happening.' Blues is a stepping stone to that next step.
"I'm very close to signing a major label deal over here, so I'll be concentrating on a very coherent radio-friendly pop, soul, rock album. It's just going to be a very big Glenn voice record. I've got 15 songs together right now, which I consider to be the best I've ever written."
After the energy and excitement of last year's Trapeze reformation gigs, Glenn is eager to get back on the road, specially to meet and thank his fans who he believes have been instrumental in his recovery.

"When I'm fronting my own band it's a sight to behold because I'm in control. I've got to get out there and show people that I am the best singer in the world."

Mark Crampton
Riff Raff
June 1993


Share on Google Plus

0 comments:

Post a Comment