Interview: Dan Reed, Dan Reed Network

Joe Mackett flies close to the flame, as chameleon-like rocker, Dan Reed exposes him to the heat of social awareness and the ideal world of citizenship.

Philosopher poet, Dan Reed

REED, BETWEEN THE LINES

Dan Reed is looking well, exceptional in fact, despite, he confides, being out until 5 in the morning playing pool. The reason for this nighthawk existence lies at the feet of the BLACK CROWES. They had teamed up to pot black after the Crowe's jaw dropping show the previous evening at Ronnie Scott's club in deepest Soho. The set played, and the ensuing conversation, admits Stan has led him to re-evaluate his outlook on the whole ethic of playing music. MTV 's Unplugged programme, it seems, has given an added dimension to rock n' roll.
"The acoustic setting lends itself to the bluesier, slide-based bands," reasons Dan. "We've done benefits in that vein, but our style is a little different with me on piano."
Interesting stuff, but onto matters in hand. DAN REED NETWORK release their third album in late July, entitled The Heat, its 15 tracks encapsulate all facets of the band's abilities, a record as all-encompassing you'll be hard to better this year. Initial questioning however centres on the production duties of Bruce Fairbairn, who produced the Network's debut (Nile Rodgers took control for Slam). Why return?
"I was set to produce, but one month away from recording, when we were in pre-production, Bruce called up and said he had time off before starting the next AEROSMITH record. Basically, he asked if he could co produce with me. Who am I to say no to that!" Grins the singer.
Did he influence the writing at all, given his track record?
"No, we had all the songs finished before we went up there, though what he does do," continues Reed smiling inwardly at the memory, "is to book a theatre for 10 days for rehearsal purposes. After two days he said, 'Screw it, you're ready!' We went into the studio and cut 16, 17 basics in three days -- Bam Bam Bam!" His hand thumps the boardroom table.
Talking of writing, it would seem that the Network, as a whole, are quite prolific in the art of turning out a song.
"If there's nothing pulling our attention then we don't write," concedes the vocalist. "So, the reason the record is more socially aware is firstly because the Gulf War was going on and secondly the changes in the Eastern Bloc, which altogether are very difficult to ignore."
Don't get too downhearted. There's still the romantic overtones Dan thrives on. Reed's smile says it all, but will he give away the inspiration behind "Life is Sex"?

"This fan wrote me a letter with the rhyme 'Life is sex, sex is sin, let's begin,' written on the back of the envelope, which I thought really cute. But, at the same time, you don't sing that song in the 1990s because of the AIDs thing, so my challenge was to make it into a romantic song. I actually called her up and asked if I could use it. Hopefully I've done her justice."
Cue one heart attack!

Despite mass critical acclaim neither DRN or Slam has sold in vast quantities. Believe it or not, Dan's just received his first gold disc! Maybe this is due to a lack of a hit single. Reed is equally perplexed.

"It's so many things. The American company was in turmoil last year, it could be that. We don't write those 'immediate' singles. It's confusing to me," he confesses, hands held to the heavens.
With the company's problems, therefore, did they put the pressure on for a hit?
"No," he jokes, "they put trust in me and I, in turn, want to be trustworthy."
"Mix It Up" is the first single from The Heat, a choice conducive to the band?
"Yeah, very much so, in two ways: it's very experimental for radio to play and lyrically it puts into terms what we are about. We try to mix it up image wise, performance wise, any way we can. And another point is that, if Dan Reed are so different, hen why are we always picking a song that's so much like everyone else?"
Valid point, indeed. A change is as good as a rest, as they say. Returning, though, to the thread of the album, with such tracks as "Salt of Joy" (the standout track!), "Thy Will be Done," and the single, Dan seems to be taking a stance, so precisely what is your message Me Reed?
"I don't want to get up on a pulpit and tell people how to live. I just want people to know that I care. My drummer's just had a child four months ago. I want kids some day, y' know. We're curious!"
Now that may sound sickly in the extreme, however, sitting there, listening, I ensure you that the man is both sincere and honest.
"Tension is high everywhere, man. I'm not going to try and change the world cultures and try to become a world citizen."

He is equally dismissive of America's outlook towards other nations.
"It's an inherent problem, be an American and Christian, if you are subscribing to one point of view. Then you have secular beliefs e,g. USA is best, so you make enemies of countries that don't hold to that opinion."
The Gulf War is an ideal yardstick here...
"The Iraqis look at us, and it's no wonder they say there's a 'Great Satan' in the US. They see Californian beaches, truck pools, women's wrestling, so they're laughing at us, as they have family, culture, and religion. I guess it's just a case of putting yourself in their frame of mind which is interesting."
And, as if to add a closing summary on the subject...
"Just look at life positively -- with education, not blind optimism."
Heavy stuff? Not really, especially if you get the point. But on a lighter note, despite the standards set by their first two albums, major press coverage seemed to ensue only after Dan shaved his head...
"I just didn't want to be perceived, either has a self-righteous rocker or a sex God. Both to me are extensions I don't want to go to. I wanted to prove to myself that I loved music and could still go out and enjoy it. When we got the STONES tour, I shaved, and it worked, I got a whole new zest for life."
You're growing it back?
"Yeah, everyone's so excited, but I'd shave it off again in a heartbeat - no problem."
What really counts though is the music. The Network have always been praised for entertaining performances. With The Heat hitting the trigger, what about the prospects of stadium sized venues? Mr Reid is humbly honest:
"I worry about getting to Wembley status. I don't think our vibe translates in those big arenas. I have a tough time with that, as the people at the back are just a blur. How are you meant to deal with that?"
God knows! Still, I'm not the man in the hot seat. I am more concerned with when we can catch The Heat live?
"There's a remote chance we'll get the VAN HALEN Tour, as I hear Eddie is quite into us. Failing that, we'll be back here in September."
At Hammersmith Odeon, I take it? He chuckles.
"I'd prefer to do ten Odeons than one Wembley, providing every one who wants to can see us."
Talk of Van Halen takes me back a few years when a message passed from DAVE LEE ROTH to watch out for Dan Reed.
"Really," enthuses Dan almost disbelieving. "Great, it's ironic, I was learning acoustic guitar in high school when I heard 'Running with the Devil.' And that's when I decided what I wanted to do. So, it's all Dave Lee Roth's fault!"
There ya go - an admirable talent, aware enough to care, but, down to the wire, Dan Reed's heart still pumps rock n' roll.


Joe Mackett
Riff Raff
August 1991


Share on Google Plus

0 comments:

Post a Comment