Revenge Recommends: "Winter In The Blood" by The Waterboys


This is a demo version of a song written for The Waterboys' classic 1985 album, This Is The Sea. In spite of its quality, the song wasn't included on the album or subsequent albums, possibly because the next Waterboys album, Fisherman's Blues, saw a radical change in style.

The song has a universal resonance, invoking eternal themes of exploitation, corruption, spiritual emptiness, and degradation, but it is also a specific reference to the novel of the same name by the Red Indian writer James Welch, whose parents were Blackfeet and Big Belly tribe

The novel is about the "culture clash" between European Americans and Red Indians, or more accurately between a society that was based on material values (boo, hiss!) and one that was still rooted in a dying mythic and tribal past (yay!).

In 2021, however, the lyrics can't help glomming onto the whole vax/ no vax controversy, or even "The Great Replacement." 


The lyrics are as follows:

There was a man who swore blind
that he could save me from dying
that he could cure all my pain
Just my luck he was lying

When he raised up his arms
said watch me summon the flood
Only one thing he brought to me
winter in the blood

Now you're reaping my harvest
Now you're treading my field
Now you turn the flesh of my mother
into your pressures and your wheels

You have treated my women
with hands that were rough
seeded my children with
winter in the blood

So what can you show me
what will you do
to make me believe
I'm the same kind of animal as you?

Did you think that if you laugh with me
that that would be enough?
Only one thing you gave me
Hey winter in the blood

So where will you go now
What deeds will you do
What tunnels and doorways
will you find your way through?

I wrote this song for you
Still it ain't enough
The one thing I owe you for
winter in the blood


Colin Liddell
Revenge of Riff Raff
30th December, 2021
Share on Google Plus

0 comments:

Post a Comment